Executive Management Institute (EMI) is a rigorous immersive education experience designed for new and current senior leaders in the forest products industry. The program offers participants a unique opportunity to master and integrate tools and frameworks for leading their organizations in a business environment that is constantly evolving.
Dates, Places and Prices
When: April 23-28, 2023
Where: Allen Center, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University - Evanston, IL
Member Pricing: $15,000
Non-Member Pricing: $17,500
MBA-level education. Lumber-professional approved.
Our 2023 EMI is building on the success of previous years. A committee of lumber executives have collaborated with Kellogg School of Management faculty to design a curriculum tailored to the needs and experiences of lumber professionals like you.
Executive Management Institute (EMI) is a rigorous immersive educational experience designed for new and current senior leaders in the forest products industry. The program offers participants a unique opportunity to master and integrate tools and frameworks for leading their organizations in a business environment that is constantly evolving. Additionally, participants will expand and strengthen their professional network within the forest products industry.
EMI’s course content is designed for the NAWLA member in, or preparing for, senior management — weaving the needs, challenges and areas of opportunity for the industry throughout the course. Taught by educators from one of the top-ranked business schools in the world, the Kellogg School of Management educators, this course equips top-performing executives to make decisions and take strategic action based upon both traditional and innovative business practices.
Capped at 30 attendees, this intimate course is designed for participants to have a personalized, immersive educational experience. Over the course of five days, participants will explore case vignettes, participate in interactive lectures, share their personal stories and experiences, engage in dynamic readings, network with fellow industry executives, collaborate in small group exercises, and connect the dots through guided reflections.
The program is organized around five themes: strategy, including finance; sales management; innovation; negotiation; and managing change, with special emphasis on understanding culture.
Who Should Attend?
The ideal course participant possesses at least 10 years of management, supervisory and/or financial management experience (in any field), and is a current or incumbent senior leader of a forest products industry company or division who wishes to hone leadership and management skills.
Prior to attending EMI, it is recommended that course participants obtain an understanding of a balance sheet and profit-and-loss statement. Participants should also possess prior people management experience, excellent computer skills (including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite), and superior verbal and written communication skills.
At the conclusion of the program, participants will be able to:
- Construct a theory of personal leadership within their professional context
- Assess their current leadership strengths and weaknesses
- Formulate and execute a personal plan to maximize leadership strengths and minimize weaknesses
- Recognize and implement best practices in team leadership
- Evaluate their own growth as leaders by employing active reflection
- Integrate concepts learned in the program into their professional context
- Develop rewarding relationships with cohort of peers they can turn to for the rest of their careers
At all times, participants are expected to:
- Be Present – Unplug from your "day job" completely during the daily course hours
- Be Prepared – Read course materials in advance of the sessions
- Be Participatory – Actively participate in course and group activities, discussions and exercis es
- Be a Leader – Proudly represent your company and our industry
- Be Open-minded – Come with a thirst for knowledge and interest in new perspectives
"This was a great experience. The interaction with all was good, very well organized. All the Faculty at Kellogg was top notch and made the learning process enjoyable." - 2021 Attendee
"Very well put together and applicable to leading in today's environment." - 2021 Attendee